do-it-myself ice candy

It's been ultra hot in Mactan and I've been craving for ice cold treats. Usually, I'd go for shakes to cool off. The problem is my blender broke a few months back and I haven't gotten around to buying a new one. To ward off the heat, I just settle with some ice cold drinks. However, I've had enough of it and want something different.

SO, what does a born and raised Filipino do to beat the summer heat??

MAKE ICE CANDY!!!!
I wish I could claim the idea of making ice candy was mine. The thought only occurred to me when I saw an "ICE CANDY FOR SALE" post at my neighbor's from across the street. Thus, I resolved that the next time I'm out, I'm going to buy milk and ice candy plastic so I can make my own. Well, I rarely talk to my neighbors, especially because they park in front of my house instead of using their own garage. So, the idea of buying from them is out of the question.

Earlier today, I bought just those two items as I have a ready-to-drink chocolate powder in stock. At the supermarket, I didn't know whether to get condensed milk or evaporated milk. Haha, I haven't made ice candy before! So, I have no idea what kind of milk to use. Anyway, while looking at the different supplies on display, I settled for evaporated milk since one of the milk labels has the word "creamier" in it. I figured I want the ice candy to be creamier, so it must be the correct ingredient, right? Haha, I was so wrong. Dead wrong, at least from the perspective of the How To Make Ice Candy videos on YouTube. ALL of them used condensed milk! Grrr. Lesson: Watch How-To Videos FIRST, before buying the ingredients!

Oh, well. As I didn't want to let the evaporated milk go to waste, I decided to use it together with the ready-to-drink chocolate powder (the orange one!) I have in stock. I boiled a small mug of water to help dissolve the powder. Poured in the milk and added some brown sugar to sweeten the mixture. Then, I made another batch made of the same powdered chocolate drink plus 3-n-1 coffee. I think I made around 15 pieces!
Popped those babies inside the freezer and let them stay until frozen. Probably after two hours or more, they should be good to go!

Got my first taste, and by the expression of Mr. Sun, I think my first ever ice candy was a hit! What about you? How are you beating the summer heat?

Comments

grace said…
Hehehe, katuwa ka talaga sis. Gumawa rin ako nyan last april dahil sobrang init kasi pero Tang Mango powdered juice lang ginamit ko, pampawi lang naman ng init habang nanonood kami ng TV at habang construction worker ako ng bahay namin :)

Popular posts from this blog

PAG-IBIG Online Housing Loan Verification

Pay PAG-IBIG Housing Loan Via Metrobankdirect

5 Steps to Enroll Your Metrobank Account Online