MY elections thought processing

Just a few days from now, Filipinos will be deciding who will run the country in the next six years. Before campaign season began and when I learned who are in the running for the two top posts in the coming election, my preliminary vote goes to Santiago and Cayetano. When campaign season got into full swing, my FB feed is already showing a 90% to 95% inclination for a Duterte presidency. As I'm a Cebuano, my feed is expected to show a loud cry for Duterte. Curiously, I couldn't say the same thing for his running mate, Cayetano. This makes me question the seriousness of its supporters in putting Duterte to Malacanang. The mayor has been consistent in telling voters that he would need Cayetano's help to make his presidency a success. So, I don't understand the underwhelming support for Cayetano from the Duterte supporters.

Binay is outrightly a non-consideration for me. His name is synonymous to corruption, which is why I'm still not going to be surprised should he win the presidency. The kalye/silingan talks I often hear from people always boil down to money. The person who gives the biggest, gets to have their name shaded on the ballot.

When I didn't see Santiago campaigning as frequently or as hard as I saw the other candidates, the thought that she may be truly sick put a damper on my choice. Choosing her was an easy, no-brainer decision for me. I love her brilliance and most of all her career that wasn't marred by corruption. She knows the issues that surrounds the Philippines. I love that she touches issues at its core, and not humoring everyone with lengthy explanations. That is, when she's asked a question, she doesn't take them at face value but rather gets immediately to the heart of the question. Yes, it appears as 'dodging' to most people. But I don't know, it just appears to me as someone who just truly understands and doesn't have the time to offer bullshit explanations.

So yeah, her fewer appearances on the campaign trail made me think that I should probably choose a different presidentiable. For a time, I thought I should give Roxas a chance. Yes, TV and Internet had all sorts of propaganda on why he will make a bad president. There's the Yolanda Fund issue, the MRT, Mr. Epal campaigns and the like. It's disheartening to not know where the Yolanda funds went. Supposed funds could have helped a lot of people. On February 2014, following Yolanda - my sister and I flew to Coron for a vacation. In the plane, our seatmates were a couple tasked to help the victims of Yolanda. In that plane ride, I saw a side that I didn't see on TV. I saw the desperation of the said volunteers. They have the funds, but is unable to give them to the victims because the "HELP" came with conditions. Conditions such as those to receive help are those who are willing to abandon the zones declared as dangerous, etc.. A lot of the Coron people they spoke with would rather choose to go back to their original homes than be relocated to a more safer zone. So generally, the conversations we had in that plane ride made me aware of the difficulty of disposing help. A lot of money is involved. Expectedly, these "HELP" came with stipulations. That's the sad part. It is for this reason that I became accepting of the reason why a lot of the pledged funds may have not landed on our shores or were not given away to the victims. Call it bullshit bureaucracy or however way you may label it. One can shout how inhumane this is, but let's face it - and I think anyone who is given the responsibility of handling and disbursing money will be very careful in following rules of disbursement lest they be questioned. While the heart is there to help, they are hindered by the stringent rules. In the fantasy world, we might all be thinking that the money should have been given Robinhood style. But I believe that isn't the case. I was aghast to learn that those help didn't come without strings attached. Truly this is just a very minor encounter that I had, but it did change the way I look at Relief Funds. As they say, little encounters can impact your view on things.

In interviews, I saw Roxas as someone who knows things, too. He's a learned man in my view. But the media has convinced me that he's a man best left to study and not to execute plans. He should not be on the field. His strength isn't there, and thus every time he goes out on the mission field, his actions more often than not end up of him being comical, trying-so-hard, and hilariously choreographed. I don't want a president like that. Admittedly, the progress which the Philippines experience under the Aquino administration makes me think to perhaps give Roxas a chance. Yes, I recognize that a lot of people will say that Aquino's administration was no better. True, we did not become a developed country in the six years that he's in office. Yes, there were many 'palpaks' during his Administration, too. But I refuse to focus on the bad side and discount the many improvements I see in our country. The international community has even recognized some of the developments in our economy. But of course, most Filipinos choose to ignore the good stuff and wants the bad stuff played again and again. This perceived improvement in the country truly made me consider to take my chance with the Administration's candidate in the hopes that there is continuity, and possibly more progress.

Senator Poe. Prior to filing of certificate of candidacy, I was rooting for Poe to accept the invitation of LP to run as Roxas' VP. I believe she'll make a good VP. The six years I think will hone her and become more familiar of the plight of the Filipino people. I believe that in the 6 years that she is VP and does a good job with it, doubts against her citizenship and inexperience will be erased. I don't know, I just sense that there is integrity in her. But then when she decided to decline and run for the presidency herself, then she lost my vote. I saw in her another Loren Legarda - brilliant but not ripe for her time. But because of impatience and ambition, Legarda is practically unheard of now and I somehow see another Legarda in Poe. It didn't help that her running-mate Chiz isn't doing well himself thanks to his manner of speech! Shallow, I know. But still. Other than that, I should probably just give her a chance. But then the debates happened. Obviously, she came prepared in the debates. But I believe her preparedness had more to do with her studying the materials given to her than the experience. When asked about practical steps to take on certain issues, her answers just shouts her inexperience. It is during these failures to answer properly that the issues on her citizenship and inexperience got to me. Haha, it didn't bother me before, but I somehow just entertained it over the course of the campaign period. I just sensed family first, instead of Philippines first in her stance as regards the questions on her citizenship.

Duterte lost my vote with his last minute decision to run for the highest office. His actions at pre-filing of candidacy and of him running via substitution just came across to me as indecisiveness in a highly critical moment. It gets further processed in my mind as someone whose commitment to the post as wavering. Admittedly, the FB noise that is Duterte in my feed made me curious of the man. His interviews are consistent. I can sense his deep and overwhelming desire to help the Philippines. If not for Miriam, he probably would get my vote, too. But then Miriam is still in the running. So why not him? Let's just say I'm big on commitment. I put prime value on what comes out of your mouth. It is ONLY ME, but despite the overwhelming support he's getting from people all over, what retains in my head is his consistent promise on resigning from the presidency if he can't get things done in 6 months. Yes, I could choose to hear the message as his commitment to truly erradicate crime, etc. But my ears just hear different. Every time he and Cayetano say that they'll resign if they are unable to deliver in 6 months time, what gets processed in my brain is of two men already willing to bail out before things could even start! The message is processed in my brain like this; OK let's get married (win the presidency). But when things get tough, I can't solve our marital problems (=can't erradicate crime and drugs in 6 months), let's just file for legal separation (DIVORCE, actually! = We'll resign when we can't deliver!). In my mind, I have difficulty supporting a president who is telling me, don't worry if I don't live up to my promises, I will vacate the presidency without batting an eyelash anyway. Let's just say I've always had a traditional mindset. So, I want a president who will be there in the whole 6 years and die trying instead of giving up easily. I also have a very shallow reason of not voting for Duterte. Most people I know from Davao have all left Davao. No matter the quality services already provided by LGU of Davao, people still left. In a sense, everything will boil down to economic growth and work opportunities.

Miriam. She's sick. She's frail and won't have the health aptitude to make it to the six years. True. But I have to respect a person willing to risk her life even at just a CHANCE of winning a presidency. At this point in her health, she need not run. But she did anyway. That spells COMMITMENT TO THE HIGHEST LEVEL to me! Yes, if she wins she could die and not finish her term. One thing I know, death doesn't come only to the unhealthy. History is rife with stories of DEATH claiming even the most robust of people! So, the possibility of death is a non-issue to me. Will she be strong enough to rule? Yes, her health may take center stage, but WORK can be a great motivator to someone who's sick. If you're told you're dying, you have two options 1) to roll over and wait to die; or 2) to fight like crazy. Number 2 is what I believe Miriam is doing. If you have not been sick, you won't understand how hard it is to defy what your body is telling you. But to do so in the face of death is just awe-inspiring! So, yeah - Miriam gets my vote. Well, even prior to her sickness, in elections past - she already got my vote then.

Yes, I'm not blind to her place in the surveys and it is highly likely that she won't even win, and might vote will be lost. Sayang nga naman. I actually wrestled with that. Should I cast my vote to a sure-win, instead? A resounding YES - it's VERY TEMPTING! But I know I couldn't live with myself knowing that I chose to cast my vote on the presidentiable who's only second-best in MY book.

As to VP; there's only two contenders in my book: Cayetano and Robredo! While Cayetano was my initial pick, he somehow lost my vote because of his constant support of Duterte's end drugs, fight corruption campaign. I think Cayetano's brilliant on his own, but his speech in the whole campaign just reeks of making sure Duterte wins. I appreciate that he supports his presidential bet, but he's forgetting that he's also running. It irks me every time he says that it's alright if he doesn't win, for so long as people vote for Mayor Duterte. Again, issue on commitment to me. Why run when you're not even fighting for your chance of winning? You want change to happen, then convince people that you want it bad enough to happen. Tell people that you'll fight to the death to make yourself win just to ensure your presidential bet will truly have his second in command and together they can change things for the better. But more than that, I don't want my VP to be focusing on imprisoning people. Let the judiciary do their job. Focus on helping the president instead. Don't be hang up on the past. With that, Robredo gets my vote. I have reservations as regards her experience with governance in the national scope. But somehow I sense her sincerity in doing ACTUAL WORK to help the Philippines.

Regardless of my vote, whoever wins will be my president. I will choose to hope that the president whom God will allow to take the Philippine presidency will deliver his/her best and hopefully unite the Filipinos. After all the campaigns, everything will be forgotten and what lies ahead is how to bring the Philippines at the forefront of economic growth. Yes, more government spending on infrastructures to usher more economic activity, create jobs, and increase disposable income of Filipinos.

Oh, I forgot. The sole reason I'm not too taken with the fight against corruption and illegal drugs is because I believe these are issues that are best tackled at the very core unit of society: the FAMILY. Parents, train up your child in the ways that are right. No matter the outside influence, if you have successfully instilled the right values to your children; your children won't be trying out drugs or be committing crime. No customers, business dies. Be there for your children. Teach, reprimand, and love your children so they won't depart from what is right. When we have a strong family unit, with the right values - there won't be crimes to begin with. Of course, since there's already a break in our family units; issues on crime and drugs are becoming rampant, and government action will now have to be involved. Parents, think about how much our government will save and put on more worthy projects if we raise up a generation that don't do crime or drugs? Don't even raise poverty here. Poverty is just a mindset. There are a lot of people who grew up poor, but didn't let circumstance stop them from making a life different from what they were originally borne with. Despite poverty, they chose not to do drugs or resort to crime just to get food in their stomachs. Parents or they themselves taught themselves to respond positively to their negative circumstance. So teach children to respond positively. Life will always throw bad experiences at some point, but let your children process these difficulties with the right perspective. Teach them to THINK.

Popular posts from this blog

PAG-IBIG Online Housing Loan Verification

Pay PAG-IBIG Housing Loan Via Metrobankdirect

5 Steps to Enroll Your Metrobank Account Online