the future and the need to save

in the past months, i can't stop thinking about the future. while i don't know what will become of me in the next few days, years, I know for sure that i need to save for it. unfortunately, my fate in the love department is not quite promising. so, tally is still in favor of me being sinfully single. though a bit scary, i know i can deal with being old and alone. the key to dealing with that is to have money. yep, i need to have enough [or more] to pay for my needs and i'm projecting for salary of a help. my family is very nuclear. i don't have cousins that are really, really close to me. both my sister and brother don't have relationships [that i know of]. thus, i can't see nieces or nephews in the picture as well. so it's imperative that i begin to save for my future so i will have something to help me get by
when real old age and frailty come knocking at my door. now, the problems that i see in me saving for the future are these:

1) carpe diem - i've always believe in seizing the moment. usually, this entails spending money. now, if you save for the future, one has to reconsider this belief.

2) one can't take one's fortune to the grave - hehe, yeah there's a bit of illusion here somewhere. it's as if i can accumulate that great a fortune. i've this idea that one has to enjoy things as they happen. this sounds like item 1. what good will savings do to me if the next day i die? okay, morbid thought. but yeah, does it mean i let go of the present in favor of the future?

3) travel, travel, travel
- it's always this. i'm single. take travel out of the equation, my life would consist entirely of work and my pet house. no in betweens. it's only travel that brings excitement into the picture. though am a budget traveler, still, traveling involves money. so yeah, i can't do both even if i want to.

hmmm...writing all these makes me realize that i'm full of bullshit. one. i know that i really need to save. the things i just listed are pure excuses for my lack of discipline. my gut is telling me that i can do both. the only impediment to doing both is me having no discipline at all. anyway, enough putting down myself for the day.

i know what's the best course of action. i just have to swallow that bit of pill called discipline. oh, there's also one called "frugal living". in fact, just read about how many billionaires continue to live frugally despite the wealth they've accumulated over the years.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PAG-IBIG Online Housing Loan Verification

Pay PAG-IBIG Housing Loan Via Metrobankdirect

5 Steps to Enroll Your Metrobank Account Online